Call for Submissions: WORD Magazine
We’re aiming to inspire, refresh, and rejuvenate our readers with articles ranging from in-depth interviews, personal perspectives, tips, tricks and how-to’s, funny anecdotes/experiences, and more.
(Please note that advertorials about your latest book, literary-related businesses, services, etc. will not be considered for publication – To advertise your new book, please consider other promotional options below.)
Submissions should be between 500-700 words. Accepted submissions will be published in print and digitally later this year.
Please email the WORD Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org to submit your work to WORD Magazine for consideration.
Contributors will be paid $75 OR a free one-year WritersNL membership + business card sized ad.
Deadline for submissions is Friday, June 30, 2023.
Promote Your Book
Our member magazine is offering a special 11” x 2.13” space in our annual magazine to promote your book for only $75.
Email us today at email@example.com to secure your ad in this year’s magazine today.
Advertising deadline is Monday, July 31, 2023.
Our advertising rates are affordable for writers and editors so you can reach the right people at the right price.
Want a rate card? More information? Email the WORD Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org for a rate card or to secure your ad.
Advertising deadline is Monday, July 31, 2023.
Email the WORD Committee at email@example.com.
Volunteer to join WritersNL’s WORD Magazine Committee today!
WritersNL’s WORD Magazine is seeking volunteer Committee Members to help guide the creation of our 2023 edition of WORD Magazine!
Word Magazine is an annual publication created for and by members of WritersNL. Our magazine educates and entertains members with articles and resources valuable to the local writing community. WORD offers robust articles and balanced content appealing to both new and established writers!
The ideal candidates would: Roles in the WORD Committee volunteers will include the following skills/duties:
– managing the workflow and schedule of a magazine
– determining deadlines, word counts, pay rates, etc.
– publicizing a call for submissions for WORD Magazine
– receiving and selecting submissions
– working as a team to finalize specific stories, angles and sources
– proofreading and editing submissions for typos/grammatical errors and content/flow
– publicizing a call for advertising opportunities and contacting potential advertisers independently
– receiving and selecting advertisements and arranging payments
– locating and securing accompanying artworks/graphics
– using graphic design skills to layout the magazine, with attention to type size, font style, spacing, column width and placement, as well as balancing advertisements with content
– researching and working with local printers to create hard copies of the magazine within budget
– getting the magazine is ready for both a digital and hard copy release
– working with Canada Post to circulate WORD Magazine
– have the ability to work independently
– work well with others/have good communication skills
– be knowledgeable of the local writing/publishing/printing industry
– possess technical skill/computer proficiency
– adhere to deadlines
– have excellent attention to detail
If this sounds like you or someone you know, please get in contact with WANL Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org and send along your resume and cover letter.
We can’t wait to create this year’s edition of WORD Magazine with you!
WORD Magazine – Winter 2021 Edition
Click here to read your copy of the Winter 2021 Edition of WORD Magazine!
The cover stories:
• CHOOSE THE OPTION TO EVALUATE: Kelley Power and Paul Butler talk about the value of Manuscript Evaluation Service
• PROGRESSIVE WORDS: Santiago Guzman writes from personal experience on racism, accountability, and language
• SHOW ME THE MONEY: Carolyn R. Parsons writes about ArtsNL Grants and how to improve your odds
• “A Message from Your President” by Susan Flanagan
• “From the Editor’s Desk” by Alisha Morrissey
• “Inkpod: All About the Stories” by Jay McGrath
• “What Margaret Atwood Taught Me” by Matthew Daniels
• “Tripping the Blacklight Fantastic” by Rob MacDonald
• “Balancing” by Connie Boland
• “20 Questions with Marin” by Marin Darmonkow
• “Author Interview: Janni Styles” by Jordan J. Morrissey
• “Surprised by Joy” by Lillian Bouzane
• “The Complex Consolation of Sea Poetry” by Karin Murray-Berquist
• “Eyes in the Spine” by Anthony Brenton
• “Writing in the Garden” by Melissa Wong
• “Approaches to Contemporary Newfoundland Fiction” by Gary Evans
• “Advice from The Master” by Michael Boyle
WORD Magazine – Spring 2021 Edition
Have you received your edition of the 2021 WORD Magazine?
Click the link below to read “A Message from Your (Former) President” by Kelley Power, a note “From the Editor’s Desk by Alisha Morrissey, a rundown on our Pitch the Publisher event by WORD Committee Members, and pieces by WANL Members like Cathy Smallwood, Deirdre Smith, Carolyn R. Parsons, Tonia Evans Cianciulli, and more, including WANL President Susan Flanagan!
Thanks as well to WritersNL Board Member Connie Boland for the beautiful cover art, titled “Woods Island Sunset.”
Click HERE to read your electronic copy of WORD Magazine!
WORD Magazine – Covid-19 Edition
Have you received your edition of WORD Magazine?
Thanks to our amazing WORD Committee and all of our fantastic contributors, it’s a beauty!
Click HERE to read a copy of WORD Magazine!
WORD Magazine – 2020 Edition
Click here to read an electronic copy of the magazine!
The 2020 edition is a full-colour, 30-page magazine, featuring gorgeous hi-resolution photos, artworks, and informative and interesting articles from a slew of writers.
Some of the topics included cover writing processes, opinions about the NL literary scene, how-to guides and advice columns for aspiring and established writers, and much, much more!
The cover artwork, titled “My Love” comes from Kaleigh Middlekoop, graciously provided to WORD by the artist, who is currently based in Indiana, USA. Layout work was done by Matthew Ledrew and Kelley Power, with Emily Buck taking on advertising. WORD was printed by Print Three in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador.
Inside the magazine, read articles from amazing local writers such as:
– Dorothy McIntosh Harvey
– Alex Saunders
– Candace Osmond
– Robert Gilbert and Sapan Narang of Access Copyright
– Matthew Ledrew of Engen Books
– Michelle Churchill
– Helen C. Escott
– Brad Dunne
– Jacinthe Tremblay of Le Gaboteur
– Sherri Singleton
– Jeff Kelland of Indie Publishers of Newfoundland and Labrador
– Shelly Kawaja
And from WritersNL Staff and Board:
– WritersNL President Kelly Power
– WritersNL Executive Director Jen Winsor
– WORD Editor Andrew Peacock
– Member at Large Lauralana Dunne
– Central/Burin Representative Carolyn R. Parsons
– Treasurer Amanda Labonté
– Avalon/St. John’s Representative Renee Boileau
What our readers had to say about the 2020 edition of WORD Magazine:
“I just received my print copy of WORD in the mail and I must say I am very very impressed by it. As an editor who has done periodical layout, it is clear that the quality of this is top-notch, the topics interesting, and the presentation really sings. Thanks so much for doing this.”
“I got my copy in the mail this week and I’m so impressed. You’ve all done a wonderful job: the layout is excellent, the articles interesting and varied, and it’s a pleasure to read. I know how much work was involved, and you all deserve a big thank you. THANK YOU!”
Are you a member of WritersNL and would like a print or electronic copy of WORD Magazine?
Email our Member Services & Communications Coordinator Wendy Rose at email@example.com to obtain your copy.