Applications accepted year-round – Apply now!
Do you have a manuscript – or a short story, or novel, novella, memoir, article, collection of poems, – that has undergone numerous re-writes and edits, to the point that the words are blurring and burning into your retinas?
Maybe you need a second set of eyes.
Now imagine that second set of eyes attached to the brilliant mind of an experienced, established writer willing to assess your work.
This is precisely why the WritersNL Manuscript Evaluation Service exists: to pair writers with skilled writers and editors in a process that works to bring the best out of an evolving manuscript.
The Manuscript Evaluation Service is designed for writers of all levels, and holds particular value for writers living in rural areas where access to workshops and other literary opportunities are limited.
How Our Manuscript Evaluation Service Works:
The WritersNL is pleased to be able to offer this service at a reasonable rate to members. We match manuscripts with qualified evaluators, who are paid $100.00 for the first 10 pages plus $1.50 per page thereafter.
The WritersNL will contribute 50% of the cost of the manuscript evaluation for up to $200.00 per manuscript.
For example, the total cost for a 300-page manuscript is
$100 + (290 x $1.50) = $435.00.
WritersNL covers 50% of the cost up to $200.00, making the member’s cost $235.00.
The Manuscript Evaluation Service includes:
– Comments on content: characterization, dialogue, setting, structure, believability, research
– Comments on writing technique: technical ability, style, voice, etc
– Steps to take to develop the manuscript
– Responses to three questions submitted by the author
Have Your Work Evaluated!
This service is available on a first-come, first-serve basis, exclusively for members of WritersNL.
Applications are accepted year-round.
All genres and manuscripts of any length (from a short story to a full-length novel) are welcome. Please note that participation in this program does not guarantee publication. Hand-written manuscripts will not be accepted.
This service also does not include editing services. (Those seeking editing services can visit WritersNL Writers For Hire page.)
Please ensure your submission is formatted in a 12-point font, with regular margins, double-spaced.
To apply, submit an application form (below) and your manuscript to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please complete the following application form to be included with your submission: Click here for the WritersNL MES Form.
(Please note: if you are unable to fill out this form, please email email@example.com.)
Need help formatting your Manuscript Excerpt Evaluation submission?
Check out this Microsoft Word tutorial from our 2023 intern Natasha Fahey:
Call for Manuscript Evaluators
WritersNL is constantly diversifying and adding to its pool of qualified evaluators and is currently seeking applications from interested individuals.
Evaluators are expected to provide specific comments on content, writing technique, steps to take to develop the manuscript, and responses to three questions submitted by the author.
Applicants must be members of WritersNL.
Preference will be given to those individuals with the following:
– Experience with professional editing and manuscript evaluation
– Experience with adjudicating writing competitions and contests
– Book and/or magazine publications
– Review publications
Interested in becoming an Evaluator? Here’s what you need to know:
– Evaluators must be WritersNL members
– Evaluators will be paid $150 for Manuscript Excerpt Evaluations
– Evaluators will be paid $100.00 for the first 10 pages plus $1.50 per page thereafter for full manuscripts for the Manuscript Evaluation Service
– Please click here to fill out the Writers For Hire application form to be listed on the Writers For Hire page on wanl.ca
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.