Original Call for Submissions:
This year on March 8, 2022, WritersNL is presenting a trio of virtual readings to commemorate International Women’s Day.
Interested participants are asked to submit a recorded video featuring a reading of an original piece that focuses on International Women’s Day’s 2022 Theme of #BreakTheBias. This writing prompt is purposefully generic, leaving applicants with ample room for creativity and exploration.“Individually, we’re all responsible for our own thoughts and actions – all day, every day.
We can break the bias in our communities.
We can break the bias in our workplaces.
We can break the bias in our schools, colleges and universities.
Together, we can all break the bias – on International Women’s Day (IWD) and beyond.”
“Whether deliberate or unconscious, bias makes it difficult for women to move ahead. Knowing that bias exists isn’t enough, action is needed to level the playing field.
Are you in? Will you actively call out gender bias, discrimination and stereotyping each time you see it?
Will you help break the bias?”
This is a paid opportunity, open to WritersNL Members only.
WritersNL will be selecting THREE readings to be premiered via WritersNL’s YouTube and Facebook.
Selected readers will be paid $100.00 each for their contribution.
Deadline for submissions: Monday, February 28, 2022 at 5 p.m.
Virtual readings will be premiered on WritersNL’s YouTube and Facebook pages on International Women’s Day at 7 p.m. on March 8, 2022.
• Click here for more information about International Women’s Day.
• Click here to get inspired by reading about IWD Speech topics.
How to enter your recorded reading into WritersNL’s 2022 International Women’s Day Call for Submissions:
• Applicants must be WritersNL members in good standing. (Applicants may become a member at the time of submission.)
• Work previously submitted to WritersNL Contests are NOT eligible.
• Applicants should have enough original material to produce a 7-10 minute video submission.
• Applicants must be comfortable recording a submission or working independently with a reader for a recorded submission. (Please see full details below.)
1) With this year’s theme in mind, choose a piece of writing – a newly crafted submission, or a previously published work that has not been previously submitted to WritersNL contests – to present in your reading.
Please ensure you have selected enough material to fill up a minimum of 7 minutes of air time, up to a maximum of 10 minutes.
2) Record yourself reading your themed excerpt.
Please introduce yourself, giving your name and general location. This is a great opportunity to plug whatever you’re working on, your goals as a writer, etc.
3) Submit your recording to WritersNL staff.
A jury will then decide which readings will be premiered on the WritersNL’s social media pages. The authors of the selected works will receive financial compensation of $100.00 per person.
• Only one submission per WritersNL Member will be accepted.
• Applicants are responsible for recording and submitting their own readings.
• Readings should be approximately 7-10 minutes each, with a minimum of 7 minutes.
• Videos should be recorded in a well-lit and quiet environment, at the highest resolution possible, in landscape mode (horizontally).
• Please submit your video in mp4 format.
• Applicants who are unable to read are welcome to submit their video with a reader provided by the applicant. The jury will be evaluating readings on the content of the submission and the presentation. Successful applicants will receive the full payment – We encourage any successful applicants to pay their reader for their time, however, this is at the discretion of the applicant.