Call for Submissions: WANL + NL Folk Festival Seeking Stories from Folk Fest Enthusiasts!
July 20, 2021
The Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Arts Society, in partnership with The Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador, wants to hear from you – the Folk Fest audience!
This is an opportunity to share all of your wonderful tales and memories relating to the annual Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival – and get paid for it too!
As festivals around the world continue to present in digital formats, organizers still yearn to connect with their audiences in as many ways as possible.
In order to come together while remaining apart, the Folk Festival is seeking virtual readings to share on social media and the Folk Festival website, to connect viewers through the power of storytelling as well as through folk music.
Please consider submitting a virtual reading of a favourite Folk Festival memory or story from the many previous magical Folk Fest weekends.
This year’s digital festival episodes explore a number of themes:
1) Write a story or memory of Folk Festivals of the past, while adhering to your selected theme, if any.
Please ensure you have enough material to fill up a minimum of 5- 7 minutes of air time.
2) Record yourself reading your story.
Please introduce yourself, giving your name and a brief explanation of why you felt inspired to write about the annual NL Folk Festival.
(i.e. My name is Wendy Rose, and I’ve been attending Folk Festivals since I was old enough to walk!)
3) Submit your recording to WANL staff.
WANL Staff will forward your submissions to a panel of qualified jurors, who will decide which readings will be premiered during this year’s digital Folk Festival.
The authors of the selected works will receive financial compensation of $100.00 per author, with four readings being selected.
Please note: Applicants must be WANL members in good standing.
(Applicants may become a member at the time of submission.)
Deadline: August 23, 2021
Videos set to premiere: October 18-29, 2021
Notes on Recording Your Virtual Reading Video:
• Applicants are responsible for recording and submitting their own readings.
• Readings should be approximately 7-10 minutes each, with a minimum of 7 minutes.
• Videos should be recorded in a well-lit and quiet environment, at the highest resolution possible, in landscape mode (horizontally).
• Please submit your video in mp4 format.
• Applicants who are unable to read are welcome to submit their video with a reader provided by the applicant. Successful applicants will receive the full payment – We encourage any successful applicants to pay their reader for their time, however, this is at the discretion of the applicant.
We appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding during these virtual times!
Questions? Concerns? Email firstname.lastname@example.org!
Times and Locations
July 20, 2021